Allergy Alert on Undeclared Peanut in Cumin Products
The FDA and USDA are advising people who are highly allergic to peanuts to consider avoiding products that contain ground cumin or cumin powder, because some shipments of these products have tested positive for undeclared peanut protein. People who are highly allergic or sensitive to peanuts may be at risk of a serious or life-threatening allergic reaction. Ground cumin may be sold as a spice, in a spice mix or kit, or as a minor ingredient when used in finished food products like soups, chilies, meat or poultry. Most finished products are expected to have low amounts of ground cumin, and therefore low amounts of peanut protein. Products made before 2014 are unlikely to contain the affected ground cumin.
View a list of Recalled Products.
What to Know
Consumers with severe peanut allergies and their caregivers should:
- Review the list of recalled products and avoid these foods. They include ground cumin, seasoning mixes, cooking “kits” which include “Tex-Mex” and Indian dishes, and a variety of seasoned meat and poultry products that come ready-to-eat or require cooking.
- When choosing a food, review the ingredients panel. People who are highly sensitive to peanuts should consider avoiding products that list “cumin.”
- Realize that if the ingredients panel lists “spices,” it may or may not contain ground cumin. People who are highly sensitive to peanuts may want to call the manufacturer to find out if the product contains cumin powder.
- If symptoms of an allergic reaction occur, such as shortness of breath, swelling of the lips, tongue or throat, or hives, stop eating the product and seek immediate medical care immediately.
- If an allergic reaction occurs, you should report a problem.
Why This Advice is Important
The FDA and USDA are continuing to identify companies that received shipments of the ground cumin that contained undeclared peanuts and work with them to remove these products from the market. While this investigation is underway, the FDA and USDA want consumers who are highly allergic or sensitive to peanuts to consider taking precautions with any product—not just those that have been recalled—that contains ground cumin. The FDA and USDA will continue to update the list of recalled products.
Note: Because the inclusion of a particular ingredient(s) in a product can be considered a trade secret, this list may not include all recalls associated with cumin containing undeclared peanuts.