1. Home
  2. Food Poisoning
  3. Report a Problem with Food

Report a Problem with Food

What do you do if you think that you or a member of your family has food poisoning? Or if you suspect that food from a store or restaurant is contaminated? Follow these tips to report the problem quickly and effectively.

Report Food Poisoning

If you think you have food poisoning or an allergic reaction to food, call your doctor. If it’s an emergency, call 911. If you believe you or someone you know became ill from eating a certain food, contact your county or city health department.
Reporting illnesses to your local health department helps them identify potential outbreaks of foodborne disease. Public health officials investigate outbreaks to control them, so more people do not get sick in the outbreak, and to learn how to prevent similar outbreaks from happening in the future.

Where to Report a Problem with Food

If you suspect that a food is contaminated or has made you or someone that you know sick, follow these guidelines to report it.

Download Table as PDF
Report a Problem with… Do This
Meat, Poultry, or Processed Egg Products

Phone the toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline at 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) or report the complaint online.

For details, see Problems with Food Products (USDA).

Food (Except Meat, Poultry or Processed Egg Products)

Phone the FDA Main Emergency Number at 866-300-4374 or phone the Consumer Complaint Coordinator for your state or area.

Get help with Food, Dietary Supplements, and Cosmetics questions.

Pet Food How to Report a Pet Food Complaint (FDA)
Guidelines for reporting problems with pet food and animal feed.
Restaurant Food Call the health department in your city, county, or state. Find contact information on your State or Territorial Health Department Website.
Date Last Reviewed